over the last days, I created a small HTML starter template for web designers.
The focus of the project is to speed up the development of HTML layouts with goodies from the ruby/rails world, like SASS or autogeneration of css sprites.
As usual, you can fetch the source code over at github.
The only prerequisites for the designer and his/her machine are:
- the machine should be a Mac (or quite unlikely: Linux), as we need a shell and an installed ruby interpreter
- the designer should not be afraid to type some basic shell commands
- … or have some techie who does the setup :)
- some knowledge of SASS and Compass is helpful … obviously
The most important features are:
- A basic HTML5 document structure, strongly inspired by HTML5 Boilerplate
- with fallback for older IEs (html5shim)
- Compass for CSS generation
- a simple two column grid layout to expand upon
- CSS sprites ready for usage: just drop some icons into images/icons
- jQuery included
- installation of dependencies are managed by bundler
- a simple, rack based, webserver is included
- livereload plugin for automatic browser refresh